The St. Joseph North Pier Inner and Outer lights sit at the end of the St. Joseph River as it empties into Lake Michigan. The pier is accessible to the public via Tiscornia Park although the tower is not accessible for climbing.
The first Michigan lighthouse built on Lake Michigan was located on a bluff in St. Joseph in 1832. A decade and a half following the completion of the original lighthouse, a wooden pier was assembled extending into Lake Michigan. A lighthouse was then built at the end of the pier and was furnished with a Fresnel lens in 1886.
In 1907, the pier was extended and a steel outer light was constructed at the end. The original shore light remained in operation until 1924 and was sold to the City of St. Joseph in 1954 and subsequently demolished in 1955.
The inner and outer ranger lights in St. Joseph are one of the few remaining range light systems still found on the Great Lakes. They are only one of two range light systems still connected with a catwalk on Lake Michigan.
From M-63, head northwest on Momany Drive. Turn left on Upton Drive and continue onto Marina Drive. Turn left on Ridgeway Drive. Turn right on Tiscornia Park Drive and park in parking lot at Tiscornia Park. Walk over the dunes to the pier and head out to see the lights.